CrimeMonroe County

One man is dead after a shootout with police in Rochester

Rochester, New York  — According to  Rochester Police  Special Weapons and Tactics teams on Friday around 9:30 pm on Avenue D, suspect was shot and killed by police officers in shootout.
The  “high risk”  suspect was wanted for murder attempt, first-degree assault, criminal possession of a weapon and was also involved in four separate shooting incidents.
The SWAT teams were following the man since 6 p.m.  They were advised by Police Chief Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan to wait and arrest the man when he is alone.
According to the officers reports, when they tried to arrest the suspect, he ran through the backyards, turned around and opened fire at the officers.
Two of the officers returned fire, striking the suspect at least five times. The man was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
On Saturday at 12:30 a.m. Police Chief Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan held a press conference discussing the incident.
During the shooting one of the officers did sustain minor injuries.
According to the Police Chief Herriot-Sullivan when the suspect shot at the officers, one officer fell backward and injured his elbow. The officer had a bullet hole through his uniform but somehow wasn’t injured.
“There’s a bullet hole through his uniform, so I don’t know how he wasn’t struck. I can only tell you someone was looking out for him. I think we all know who that would be.” said Herriot-Sullivan.
This was a special unit that was involved in the shooting and they do not have body-worn cameras, Police Chief Herriot-Sullivan said.
Due to it being an officer-involved shooting, the New York State Attorney General’s Office is conducting the investigation and the officers are currently placed on administrative duty until an internal investigation has been completed.
The area between Hudson Avenue and North Street on Avenue D is blocked off, and the investigation spans several city blocks.

Related Articles

Back to top button