Monroe County

Early morning gas leak in Elmira

Elmira, New York — On early Sunday morning, multiple residents were evacuated from their homes, after a natural gas leak was reported on Elmira’s Southside.
A gas leak took place around 2:00 a.m. Sunday morning inside of a vacant home at 261 Partridge St., according to the Elmira Fire Department.
They believed that someone had gone inside of the home and had stolen some copper piping resulting in the leak, the fire department said. The house has been foreclosed, with foreclosure notices being visible by the front door, but it’s unknown why the gas was still turned on inside the building.
According to The Elmira Fire Department, it took around two hours for the whole scene to be clear, as they had to discover the leak and shut off the gas from the inside of the house.
Around 4-5 a.m., those evacuated from neighboring houses were allowed to return to their houses.
At this time, it’s unknown who went inside the house and stole the copper pipes.
 

Related Articles

Back to top button