Monroe County

House fire on Lyell Avenue in Rochester

Rochester, New York — On Thursday afternoon three people were rescued from a house fire on Lyell Avenue in Rochester.
According to the Rochester Fire Department, first responders were called to the scene around 1:15 p.m. for reports of a room on fire in a boarding house. They found smoke pouring out of the building.
They were able to identify a room on the first floor as the source of the fire. According to the Rochester Fire Department, “hoarding conditions” impeded their efforts to put out the flames.
Firefighters rescued one person from the first floor, rescued two people caught in heavy smoke on the second floor, and a cat and kittens were also rescued.
One man was transported to Strong Memorial Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, and one firefighter was hospitalized for a hand laceration.
The fire was contained to a single room and put out in about 30 minutes, Firefighters said.
The boarding home has 13 rooms, and 12 people live there, according to the RFD.
The Red Cross is assisting them with shelter.

Related Articles

Back to top button