The 18-year-old man who is accused of terrorizing Memphis with a crosstown shooting spree pleaded not guilty to all 26 charges against him on Tuesday.
According to the investigation, 19-year-old Ezekiel Kelly was the one who shot and killed Dewayne Tunstall, Richard Clark, and Allison Parker on September 7. Kelly is also suspected of having hurt three more people during the spree, which caused the whole city of 650,000 people to be told to stay put and hide.
Initially, the police believed Kelly was responsible for the deaths of four individuals. However, they have since determined that another individual was responsible for one of the deaths.
Kelly is still being looked into for a number of crimes, including terrorism, three counts of first-degree murder, four counts of first-degree attempted murder, and four other crimes.
According to the authorities, he started his shooting spree on September 7 at one in the morning when he fatally shot Tunstall, a 24-year-old father of two children.
After waiting for many hours, Kelly is said to have driven around the Memphis region while armed with a firearm and firing at arbitrary targets. He broadcast some of his activities live on Facebook.
While Kelly was on the run, Memphis came to a complete and total standstill. There was a stop to public transportation, two schools went into lockdown, and a baseball game in a lower level league had to be stopped.
Officers said that they ultimately located Kelly when he was operating a vehicle that had been stolen in South Memphis, and they then began a high-speed automobile pursuit after him. That resulted in Kelly losing control of the situation and giving up.