Suspect in East Harlem revenge homicide arrested

On Monday, the police said they had arrested the person they believed was a suspect in a revenge killing in East Harlem in February.

According to the police, he was charged with murder, attempted murder, assault, and possession of a loaded gun on Friday.

On the morning of February 27, Jones reportedly opened fire, killing 38-year-old Charles Buckner as he was sitting in a parked silver Mercedes-Benz near the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 138th Street.

Buckner’s cousin, who is 24 years old and was riding in the vehicle with him when the shooting occurred, was hit in the left arm but managed to get himself to Harlem Hospital on his own, where he was treated and discharged after the incident.

Charlié Buckner, Buckner’s sister, condemned the killing as “another senseless murder in New York” in a statement she made after the incident.

“He grew up in Harlem,” she said after the slaying. “He’s an amazing father, son, brother, and friend. A role model and an all-around good person.”

According to the police, Jones shot and murdered Buckner as a form of retaliation for a shooting that occurred earlier that day at a Mott Haven nightclub known as Evasions. Buckner seems to have had some kind of role in the shooting that took place.

Jones wasn’t there, but Tynika Johnson, another person of interest in Buckner’s murder, was. On September 15, Johnson, who is 30 years old, was apprehended at Kennedy Airport and charged with murder as well as possession of a weapon.

According to the records, Jones, who resides on the Upper West Side, had a total of 11 previous arrests, most of which were for drug-related offenses. Additionally, Jones has spent more than three years in state prison for three different drug convictions. Johnson, who resides in Harlem, has a previous arrest record for the crime of grand larceny.

Buckner, who resided not too far from the location where he was murdered, has a record of 14 arrests, one of which was for attempted murder in the year 1999. According to the authorities, he may have been involved in another shooting in 2001 that did not result in a fatality.

According to the documents, Buckner was granted release in June of 2020 after spending three years in prison for an attempted conspiracy conviction. Prior to that, he was sentenced to more than two years in prison for possession of firearms and was released from prison in December 2013.

Related Articles

Back to top button